Spring/Summer 2013: Plenty to Choose From

Thursday, March 14, 2013
Follow Sarah on Twitter: @sarallin

I recently checked out Plenty’s Favourites Spring 2013 event. Hosted by FASHION Magazine’s Joy Pecknold, and featuring outfits selected by the ladies from The Style Common, the event makes me wish more than ever that spring would actually arrive.

Established in Vancouver in 1989 (just like me!), Plenty stocks a wide variety of international and in-house brands. I’ve always liked Plenty’s mix of brands because they’re great at achieving a balance of on-trend, and classic pieces. This spring’s collection is no exception, and with that, here are my favourite picks:

For the ladies:


I absolutely love this Maison Scotch vest, and need it in my wardrobe ASAP (nickels currently being saved). The photo really doesn’t do all of the details justice. As someone who lives in jean jackets three-quarters of the year, this vest is a much-needed alternative.

I love a good print, and this GREYLIN top with bird motif is nice and bright without being too busy. Using this blog as personal therapy side note: I’m slightly terrified of birds, but love all bird clothing and jewelry. Is this normal?

Every summer I make a huge list of things I’m going to DIY, and after about 3 botched projects, I finally give up. These Free People cutoffs embrace my uselessness, and add the lace trim for me. Well worth the investment.


This OBEY hat is a great way for girls to dip their toes into the sportswear trend, with the floral pattern keeping things feminine. As a matter of fact, I’m not even sure this is a women’s hat, not that I’ve been stopped from shopping in the men’s section before.

Spring colours even sneak their way into jewelry!

DV Dolce Vita sandals with the slightest of a wedge, so you can sneak an extra inch without your feet feeling it.

For the fellas:



OBEY is one of my favourite menswear lines. This tank is great for summer festivals, or for Americans who want to celebrate the Fourth of July without slapping a giant American flag on their clothes.

RVCA shorts are a good mix of tailored and casual. A nice alternative to the Vancouver habit of guys wearing board shorts everywhere.

Original Penguin makes great button up shirts, and this check has some nice spring colours.

Men take note: women like guys who read. That being said, I won’t tell if you wait to wear this Out of Print Clothing Great Gatsby shirt until after the Baz Luhrmann movie comes out.


With that I am done. Thanks for reading, and for being my bird-issues therapist. Perhaps you’ll see one of the few additional items I picked up at the event on the blog soon (I think I may have a shopping problem, but that’s a whole other therapy session).

No comments: